The Treatment of Pregnant Women with Opioid Use Disorders
$10.50 | CE Hours:3.50 | Intermediate
IAODAPCA Credit for Counselor I or II, Preventionist I or II, CARS I or II, CODP I or II, PCGC II, CCJP II, CRSS II, CPRS I or II, MAATP I or II, NCRS II, CFPP II, GCE, CVSS II
CE Course Description
The pattern of initiating heroin use has changed over the past decade and when pregnant women use opioids, their infants may be affected. This CE course provides background information on the treatment of pregnant women with opioid use disorders, summarizes key aspects of guidelines that have been adopted by professional organizations, presents a comprehensive framework to organize these efforts in communities, and provides a collaborative practice guide for community planning to improve outcomes for these families.
Article Author: Sharon Amatetti, M.P.H., served as the author and government project officer from SAMHSA; Elaine Stedt, M.S.W., served as the project officer for the Children’s Bureau of ACF; Nancy K. Young, Ph.D., served as the author and project director from the NCSACW; and Kari Earle, M.Ed., and Erin Hall, M.S.O.T., served as the authors from the NCSACW.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss the expert recommendations for countering misinformation about pregnant women and prescription opioid use.
2. Investigate what is a recommended best practice for the care of pregnant women with opioid use disorders.
3. Examine the standard of care for the infant with neonatal abstinence syndrome.
4. Elucidate what medication-assisted treatment includes.
5. Identify the factors that can affect an infant’s withdrawal symptoms.
6. Describe what must be taken into account when making decisions about whether to intervene and how to do so in the most supportive manner.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2017-01-01