Telehealth Challenges and Opportunities
$3.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Beginning
CE Course Description
Bridging the gap between rural and urban behavioral health services involves addressing many complex barriers and developing creative solutions to complex challenges that are often unique to rural areas. This CE course looks at common acceptability, availability, and accessibility barriers to mental and substance use disorder treatment and services in rural communities and presents ways telehealth can help surmount some of these barriers.
Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2016). Rural Behavioral Health: Telehealth Challenges and Opportunities. In Brief, Volume 9, Issue 2.
Retrieved from: https://store.samhsa.gov/product/In-Brief-Rural-Behavioral-Health-Telehealth-Challenges-and-Opportunities/SMA16-4989
CE Course Objectives
1. Describe how technology can facilitate the delivery of behavioral health services to people in rural areas.
2. List three major acceptability barriers facing individuals living in rural locations.
3. Define telehealth.
4. Identify challenges specific to telehealth.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Acceptability Barriers
a. Lack of privacy
b. Lack of culturally appropriate treatment
2. Addressing Acceptability Barriers
3. Availability Barriers
a. Lack of services
b. Lack of practitioners
c. Lower use of EBPs
4. Addressing Availability Barriers
5. Accessibility Barriers
6. Addressing Accessibility Barriers
7. Challenges to Implementing Telehealth Services
a. Challenges facing providers
b. Challenges facing rural clients
c. Challenges facing facilities
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Texas Board of Social Workers
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2019 – 01/03/2020.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Added On: 2017-10-01