Substance Abuse Treatment and LGBT Cultural Competence
$12.00 | CE Hours:4.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
As lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) individuals become more accepted and visible, they are seeking culturally sensitive, if not culturally specific, substance abuse treatment services. This CE course discusses administrative policies and procedures for serving LGBT clients, training and educational issues related to serving LGBT clients, and how to monitor and assess efforts to improve quality.
Article Author: Brenda Underhill, M.S., C.A.C., et al.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss how counselors can help LGBT clients recover from substance abuse and addiction.
2. Explain the goal of quality improvement with respect to service to LGBT clients.
3. Investigate the stages of lesbian and gay identity development.
4. Examine why professionals may attribute treatment failures to the clientele.
5. Identify the phrase that should be used to refer to individuals who are drug-free.
6. Provide an important first step in implementing an evidence based program.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2017-10-01