Psychiatric Advance Directives
$3.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Advanced
CE Course Description
A psychiatric or mental health advance directive (PAD) is a legal tool that allows a person with mental illness to state their preferences for treatment in advance of a crisis. This CE course provides background and practical information on the use of PADs as a tool for promoting self-directed care in psychiatric treatment, making progress toward parity in mental health treatment.
Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: A Practical Guide to Psychiatric Advance Directives. Rockville, MD: Center for Mental Health Services. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2019.
References / Contributions by:
Griswold, K.S., Pastore, P.A., Homish, G.G., & Henke, A. (2010) Access to Primary Care: Are Mental Health Peers Effective in Helping Patients After a Psychiatric Emergency? Primary Psychiatry, 17:42- 45.
Hibbard, J.H., Green, J., (2013). What the evidence shows about patient activation: Better health outcomes and care experiences; fewer data on costs. (2013) Health Affairs, 32: 207-214.
Paskett, E.D., Harrop, J.P., Wells, K.J. (2011). Patient navigation: An update on the state of the science. CA: Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 61:237-249.
Retrieved from: https://www.samhsa.gov/ebp-resource-center
CE Course Objectives
1. Explain when a PAD goes into effect.
2. Give three examples of periods when a person may lack capacity.
3. List three things that an advance instruction does.
4. Provide the top three common barriers that were reported for not having a PAD.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Practical Guide to Psychiatric Advance Directives
2. Resources and Crisis Planning
3. Tips for a Healthcare Agent
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2019 – 01/03/2020.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2019-09-30