The Problem of Prescription Drug Use in the United States
$10.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
This CE course sets out to improve the understanding of current prescription drug abuse activities and analyze a report which provides a review of current initiatives and identifies opportunities to ensure the safe use of prescription drugs with the potential for abuse and the treatment of prescription drug dependence.
Article Author: HHS Behavioral Health Coordinating Committee (BHCC), is a coordinating body within HHS that identifies and facilitates collaborative, action-oriented approaches to addressing the HHS behavioral health agenda. Co-chaired by the Assistant Secretary for Health, Dr. Howard Koh, and the Administrator of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Pam Hyde, the Committee has five subcommittees: Communications; Early Intervention/Institute of Medicine Implementation; Prescription Drug Abuse; Primary Care/Behavioral health Integration; and Underage Drinking and Alcohol Policy.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
1. Examine the problem of prescription drug abuse in the United States including personal and public health consequences.
2. Discuss the epidemiology and drivers of prescription drug abuse among various populations.
3. Describe current HHS activities that are addressing prescription drug abuse as well as ways to promote and enhance these programs.
4. Review key findings related to substance abuse prevention, drug abuse treatment, and overdose prevention initiatives.
5. Identify the purpose and prevalence of prescription drug monitoring programs (PDMPs) and what research is saying about their effectiveness.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2015-08-27