Hallucinogens and Dissociative Drugs - Updated
$5.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Beginning
CE Course Description
Hallucinogens and dissociative drugs can disrupt a person’s ability to think and communicate rationally, or even to recognize reality, sometimes resulting in bizarre or dangerous behavior. This CE course compiles scientific information on the dangers of hallucinogenic and dissociative drugs.
Author: National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2015, February). Hallucinogens and Dissociative Drugs Including LSD, Psilocybin, Peyote, DMT, Ayahuasca, PCP, Ketamine, Dextromethorphan, and Salvia. NIH Publication Number 15-4209.
Johnston LD, O’Malley PM, Bachman JG, Schulenberg JE. Monitoring the Future national results on drug use: 1975-2014. Overview of key findings on Adolescent Drug Use. Ann Arbor, MI: Institute for Social Research, The University of Michigan; 2014.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Results from the 2013 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Summary of National Findings. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration; 2014. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 14-4887. NSDUH Series H-49.
Winstock AR, Kaar S, Borschmann R. Dimethyltryptamine (DMT): prevalence, user characteristics and abuse liability in a large global sample. J Psychopharmacol. 2014;28(1):49-54.
Retrieved from: https://www.drugabuse.gov/
CE Course Objectives
1. Explain how the dissociative drug, salvia, causes its effects.
2. Identify the most common source of abused Dextromethorphan.
3. Name one of the most potent mood- and perception-altering hallucinogenic drugs.
4. Summarize the tolerance experienced for hallucinogenic drugs and name which hallucinogen does not produce tolerance.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. What Are Hallucinogens and Dissociative Drugs?
a. Classic Hallucinogens
b. Dissociative Drugs
2. How Widespread Is the Abuse of Hallucinogens and Dissociative Drugs?
3. Why Do People Take Hallucinogenic or Dissociative Drugs?
4. How Do Hallucinogens (LSD, Psilocybin, Peyote, DMT, and Ayahuasca)
a. Affect the Brain and Body?
b. How Do Hallucinogens Work?
c. What Are the Short-Term Effects of Hallucinogens?
d. What Are the Long-Term Effects of Hallucinogens?
5. What Are the Effects of Common Dissociative Drugs on the Brain and Body?
a. How Do Dissociative Drugs Work?
b. What Are the Short-Term Effects of Dissociative Drugs?
c. What Are the Long-Term Effects of Dissociative Drugs?
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2019-06-03