The Dementias (Update)
$6.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Beginning
CE Course Description
A diagnosis of dementia can be frightening for those affected by the syndrome, their family members, and caretakers. This CE course provides a general overview of various types of dementia, describes how the disorders are diagnosed and treated, and offers highlights of research supported by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke and the National Institute on Aging, both part of the National Institutes of Health.
Author: National Institutes of Health. (2017, December). The Dementias: Hope Through Research. Publication No. 17-NS-2252.
The Dementias: Hope Through Research was jointly produced by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke and the National Institute on Aging, both part of the National Institutes of Health.
Retrieved from: https://catalog.ninds.nih.gov/ninds/product/Dementias-Hope-Through-Research/17-NS-2252
CE Course Objectives
1. Conclude which syndrome leads to the development of symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease by the time they reach middle age.
2. Determine which form of dementia can benefit from antidepressants and antipsychotics.
3. Explain what is thought to contribute to reduced function and nerve-cell death in Alzheimer’s and is the hallmark of the disease.
4. Identify the primary risk factor for developing dementia.
5. List three symptoms of mild cognitive impairment.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. The Basics of Dementia and Cognitive Impairment
2. Dementias Associated with Aging and Neurodegeneration
3. Neuropathology of Neurodegenerative Disorders
4. Reversible Dementia-like Disorders and Conditions
5. Other Neurodegenerative Diseases and Conditions with Dementia or Dementia-like Symptoms
6. Risk Factors for Dementia and Cognitive Impairment
8. Treatment and Management
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Texas Board of Social Workers
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2019-09-02