Co-Occurring Developmental Disabilities and Mental Health Problems
$15.00 | CE Hours:5.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
People with developmental disabilities are at increased risk for developing mental health problems across the lifespan, and treatment professionals often find it difficult to determine whether the behavior they are looking at is due to an underlying disability or a mental health problem - or both. This CE course provides an overview of dual diagnosis, focuses on the impact of dual diagnosis on family life, and explores treatment and support for people affected by dual diagnosis.
Article Author: Yona Lunsky, Ph.D., et al.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss suggested ways of supporting all children, including siblings of people with special needs, and maintaining a strong family life.
2. Enumerate the five principles that guide how to care for people with dual diagnosis.
3. Explain how Asperger’s disorder is different from classic autism.
4. Elucidate what a treatment plan should include.
5. Identify psychological risk factors that interact with life stressors and biological predispositions and reduce a person’s ability to cope with stressors and be resilient.
6. Describe the three major groups of symptoms related to bipolar disorder.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2016-05-22