Brief Intervention - ASSIST
$9.00 | CE Hours:3.00 | Intermediate
CEU Course Description
This CE course explains the theoretical basis and evidence for the effectiveness of brief interventions and to assist primary health care workers in conducting a simple brief intervention for clients whose substance use is putting them at risk. Topics described in this course include: the rationale for brief intervention in primary care; a model of behavior change; the components of brief interventions that work; examples of ASSIST-linked brief interventions; and principles of motivational interviewing and essential skills. Additional information include how to: link the ASSIST screening procedure with a brief intervention; give feedback to clients; conduct brief intervention for people at moderate risk; help clients who inject drugs; address multiple substance use; and give longer or recurrent intervention.
1. Describe the rationale for providing brief intervention in primary care settings for patients whose substance use is putting them at risk.
2. Discuss the principles and essential skills of brief intervention and motivational interviewing.
3. Outline the components of Assist-linked brief interventions and provide examples.
4. Identify strategies to provide productive feedback to clients during the intervention process.
5. Review the stages of behavioral change for those considering alteration in substance use habits or in other lifestyle choices.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Texas Board of Social Workers
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at email@example.com.
Added On: 2015-02-12