Promoting Best Practice and Safety Through Preprinted Physician Orders
$3.00 | CEU Hours:1.00 | Intermediate*This course is not approved for NBCC renewal. Please see our NBCC category of courses here.
CEU Course Description
This CEU course explores the potential of preprinted physician orders to improve interdisciplinary integration in care, promote accurate communication, and reduce variation by combining pertinent reminders, safety alerts, and “best practice” into a just-in-time process.
Article Author: George Ehringer, M.D. and Barbara Duffy, R.N., LHRM, MPH
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CEU Course Objectives
1. Discuss major barriers to immediate and widespread CPOE adoption throughout the health care industry.
2. Explain how the risk of dosing errors can be reduced.
3. Investigate the advantages of well designed, preprinted orders.
4. Examine which medications ALL CAPS should be used for when writing out, as there have been several publicized errors involving accidental switching.
5. Identify what is never allowed with medication orders.