Workplace Impairment of the Healthcare Professional
$10.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
Even the most skilled, responsible, and dedicated healthcare worker is susceptible to substance abuse. This CE course looks at the policies and standards in place by very reputable cooperatives such as the American Medical Association and The Joint Commission. Common signs and symptoms of substance abuse, along with the steps of reporting said abuse are also discussed.
Author: LaGuire, T. (2018, August). Quantum Units Education.
Copyright: Quantum Units Education. August 2018.
CE Course Objectives
1. List three situations in which a healthcare professional needs to be removed immediately from the workplace.
2. Explain three ethical obligations a healthcare professional has in order to protect patient interests and ensure that their colleagues receive appropriate care and assistance.
3. Evaluate two reasons why healthcare workers abuse drugs or alcohol.
4. Conclude what is often the first indication of impairment.
5. Identify which substance healthcare professionals demonstrate significantly higher levels of abuse when compared to the general population.
6. Describe the employer’s responsibility to accommodated medical marijuana use under the federal Americans with Disabilities Act.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. American Medical Association Policies
2. The Joint Commission Standards
3. Background of Workplace Impairment
4. Signs and Symptoms of Workplace Impairment
5. Where Marijuana is Legal
6. Steps for Reporting an Impaired Co-Worker
7. Hypothetical Case Highlighting Legal and Ethical Issues
8. Impairment Policy
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2018-08-07