Culture Awareness and Trauma
$5.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Beginning
***This course will be expiring on 10/28/2021. After this date, you will be unable to take this course for renewal credit.***
CEU Course Description
Extracted from a guide created by the National Center on Trauma-Informed Care as a technical assistance document to help make trauma-informed peer support available to women who receive or have received services in behavioral health or other human service systems.
This course provides basic information about how cultural considerations impact the meaning a person makes of their experiences and can affect both the experiences of trauma and the development of peer support relationships. This course also explores how assumptions about others can affect peer support, and how services sometimes fail women of color, refugees and immigrants, people who live in rural areas, and women viewed as “different” because of sexual orientation, religion, or other cultural factors.
1. Evaluate how culture impacts a woman’s life and identity, shapes how she makes meaning of her experiences, and often determines her view about seeking help.
2. Describe how racial or cultural biases can impact a peer supporter’s interaction with trauma survivors.
3. Differentiate between common cultural mistakes pertaining to trauma and culturally sensitive approaches.
4. Discuss how peer supporters can create space in their conversations for individuals to explore and define their cultural identity.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2017-09-11