Dual Diagnosis: Understanding Co-Occurring Mental Illness and Substance Use Disorders
$0.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Intermediate
Behavioral health professionals have a responsibility to be aware of the complex relationship between mental illness and substance abuse or dependence, known as dual diagnoses or co-occurring disorders. Topics include characteristics and prevalence, theories, screening and assessment, and treatment of dual diagnosis.
Article Author: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
1. Describe the scope and magnitude of co-occurring mental illness and substance use disorders.
2. Identify various theoretical approaches that explain the relationship between mental illness and substance abuse, and why co-existence of these behaviors is prevalent.
3. Examine the importance of thorough screening and assessment for dual diagnosis, while outlining the 12-step assessment process.
4. Outline various treatment formats that will best engage clients in the therapeutic process, and summarize specific treatment modalities most commonly used for dual diagnosis.
5. Discuss the mental health disorders that seem to create particular vulnerability to substance use as well as the most common mental health/addiction combinations in play today.
6. Review strategies to help those with a loved one with dual diagnosis take care of themselves while supporting the individual.
Date Added: 2015-08-08
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Board Approvals for this course can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.