Principles of Substance Abuse Prevention for Early Childhood
$12.00 | CE Hours:4.00 | Intermediate
IAODAPCA credit for: Counselor I or II, Preventionist I or II, CARS I or II, CODP I or II, PCGC II, CCJP II, CAAP I, CRSS II, CPRS I or II, MAATP I or II, NCRS II, CFPP II, ATE, CVSS II
CEU Course Description
While substance use generally begins during the adolescent years, there are known biological, psychological, social, and environmental factors that contribute to the risks that begin accumulating as early as the prenatal period. This CEU course provides the specific ways in which early interventions can have positive effects on development and gives an overview of child development from the prenatal period through age 8, along with the factors that either place a child at risk for later substance use or offer protection against that risk.
Article Author: Elizabeth Robertson, Ph.D., et al.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CEU Course Objectives
1. Discuss what can impede a child’s healthy brain development when a nurturing responsive relationship with a parent does not exist.
2. Investigate the most important context across all periods of early child development.
3. Examine what research has shown the benefits of intervention can affect.
4. Elucidate the most crucial factors leading to healthy socialization and self-regulation.
5. Identify the transition period that is a prime opportunity to introduce skills, knowledge, and competencies to facilitate development during the transition.
6. Provide the core elements of a school-based early childhood intervention.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2016-08-28