Disaster Behavioral Health Responders: Compassion Fatigue, Stress, Cultural Awareness and Substance Abuse
$6.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Intermediate
CEU Course Description
This course covers several important aspects for Behavioral Health Responders and Administration including the causes and signs of compassion fatigue and tips for preventing it from happening. It provides information that can help supervisors ease the transition for disaster responders returning to work, along with recognizing and reducing potential difficulties in the workplace and enhancing positive consequences for all of their staff. It also helps disaster behavioral health responders better understand historical trauma in the Native American culture and how it may affect disaster preparedness and response efforts and provides information on the warning signs of misusing alcohol, prescription medication, or other substances. As well it presents a series of personal stress prevention and management skills to learn and practice before called upon to respond, approaches to manage stress during deployment and how to ease the transition back to routine work.
Article Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CEU Course Objectives
1. Discuss the risks associated with being a disaster behavioral health responder, including signs and causes of compassion fatigue.
2. Outline tips that supervisors of disaster responders can use to help their employees manage stress while contributing to their personal and professional growth.
3. Review special considerations that impact disaster workers when responding to an event in Indian Country.
4. Identify warning signs of misusing alcohol, prescription medication, or other substances among disaster responders and strategies to help those who are struggling with these issues.
5. Describe ways that disaster responders can make a smooth transition back into their work environment.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Texas Board of Social Workers
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at email@example.com.
Added On: 2016-10-21