Addiction - Neurobiology, Prevention, and Treatment
$27.00 | CE Hours:9.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
This CE course explains the neurobiological basis for substance use disorders and provides the biological, psychological, and social frameworks for improving diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of alcohol and drug misuse. Evidence-based prevention strategies, effective treatment strategies, and recovery support services are also described in this course.
Article Author: Vice Admiral Vivek Murthy, M.D., M.B.A
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss the most common reason that people do not seek treatment.
2. Explain the goal of early intervention.
3. Investigate what research suggests to do to address the problem of fatal medication errors due to interactions between a prescribed medication for a diagnosed medical condition and patient substance use.
4. Scrutinize the single factor that will determine whether an individual will develop a substance misuse problem or disorder.
5. Identify when the likelihood of substance use peaks.
6. Describe where the negative feelings associated with withdrawal are thought to come from.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Texas Board of Social Workers
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2017-04-16