A Practitioner's Guide: Helping Families Support LGBT Children
$3.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Intermediate
Due to the age of the material, this course will be discontinued from our library on 6/28/2019.
CE Course Description
This course was developed from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration resource guide and has the purpose of helping practitioners who work in a wide range of settings to understand the critical role of family acceptance and rejection in contributing to the health and well-being of adolescents who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender. This course’s intent is to help practitioners implement best practices in engaging and helping families and caregivers to support their LGBT children.
Article Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Caitlin Ryan PhD, ACSW
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Evaluate the critical role of families in reducing risk & promoting the well-being of their LGBT children.
2. Define the terms sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, gender non-conforming, gender variant, and transgender.
3. Identify the core assumptions of the Family Acceptance Project.
4. Summarize research findings pertaining to LGBT young people and to the role of family support in their lives.
5. Outline specific steps that practitioners and agencies can take to respond to the needs of LGBT children and their families.
Date Added: 2015-04-15
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Board Approvals for this course can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at: email@example.com.