Developmental Disabilities and Deinstitutionalization
$21.00 | CEU Hours:7.00 | Intermediate
CEU Course Description
This course discusses the lessons learned regarding how to close large institutions and focuses on the movement to smaller community living setting that meet NCD’s new definition. The course examines some of the factors that advocates and self-advocates believe are important in defining “community living” and looks at how quality of life in the community can be and is being measured. This course also identifies the most effective approaches and supports to help people with ID/DD transition from institutional settings of all sizes.
CEU Course Objectives
1. Discuss what research has demonstrated in relation to people with ID/DD and their outcomes in the community setting vs. when institutionalized.
2. Enumerate what Congress found the Nation’s proper goals are regarding individuals with disabilities.
3. Explain the type of discrimination that unjustified isolation is properly regarded as.
4. Investigate the Olmstead case in regards to the conditions that must be met for a decision of community placement.
5. Identify what heavily influences the movement from institutions to community settings.
6. Describe the goal of deinstitutionalization.
7. Elucidate the benefits of community living compared with living in an institution.
8. Examine the reasons why the cost-effectiveness of community-based care is possible.
Date Added: 2014-05-28
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Board Approvals for this course can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.