Addressing Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors in Substance Abuse Treatment (Updated)
$30.00 | CE Hours:6.00 | Intermediate
IAODAPCA CE Credit for: Counselor I or II, Preventionist I or II, CARS I or II, CODP I or II or III, PCGC II, CCJP II, CAAP I or II, CRSS I or II, CPRS I or II, MAATP I or II, RDDP, NCRS II, CFPP II, CVSS II
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED CE Hours for only $74.95?
Click Here to learn more.
CE Course Description
Suicide is a leading cause of death among people who abuse alcohol and drugs. This CE course presents the “what” and “why” of working with clients with substance use disorders who have suicidal thoughts and/or behaviors. In addition, the rational for the approach described is examined along with an understanding of how administrators can provide support for programs and counselors as they address clients’ suicidal thoughts and behaviors. Lastly, detailed information is provided on how to achieve high-quality implementation of the recommendations given.
Article Author: Kenneth Conner, Psy.D., M.P.H.; Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Enumerate the actions that should be taken in order to prevent clients from being exposed to life-threatening situations and to prevent the counselor and agency from being exposed to legal risk of malpractice.
2. Explain the most critical thing to remember about crisis phone calls.
3. Investigate the reasons that people with substance use disorders who are in treatment are at especially high risk of suicidal behavior.
4. Examine the minimum items that should be included on a written safety card for all clients with suicidal risk.
5. Identify the most potent risk factor for suicidal thoughts and behaviors.
6. Describe circumstances during treatment that require access to immediate supervision or consultation.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved as an ACE provider to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Regulatory boards are the final authority on courses accepted for continuing education credit. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2023 - 01/03/2026. Social workers completing this course receive 6.00 'Clinical' continuing education credits.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at email@example.com.
Added On: 2009-01-01