Identifying Mental Health and Substance Abuse Problems of Children and Youth
$50.00 | CE Hours:10.00 | Intermediate
*ICB Credit for Counselor I or II, Preventionist I or II, CARS I or II, MISA I or II or III, PCGC II, CCJP II, CAAP I, CRSS I or II, MAATP I or II, RDDP, NCRS I or II, CFPP II, ATE
Illinois Specific Approvals: Counselor I or II, Preventionist I or II, CARS I or II, MISA I or II or III, PCGC II, CCJP II, CAAP I, CRSS I or II, MAATP I or II, RDDP, NCRS I or II, CFPP II, ATE
CEU Course Description
This course is intended to promote the early identification of children and adolescents with mental health and substance use problems. It addresses the approaches, methods, and strategies used to identify mental health and substance use problems of high-risk youth (persons whose ages are between birth and 22 years) in settings that serve either a broad spectrum of children and adolescents or a high-risk population. The seven settings it covers are:
• Child welfare
• Early care and education
• Family, domestic violence, and runaway shelters
• Juvenile justice
• Mental health and substance abuse treatment for co-occurring disorders
• Primary care
• Schools and out-of-school programs
CEU Course Objectives
1. Know which are the best tools available to screen for mental health and drug use problems in children and adolescence.
2. Learn how to use the screening tools most effectively in different settings.
3. Learn who to use screening tools with in various settings and what to do with the information they provide.
4. Be aware of the issues and difficulties that can be encountered when screening children and adolescents for mental health and drug use problems.
5. Understand the benefits of partnering with various groups and agencies to help identify and treat this population.
6. Recognize what groups and agencies are potential partners in identifying and treating this population.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2013-03-05