Preconception Care and Contraception for HIV Infected Women
$45.00 | CE Hours:9.00 | Intermediate
CEU Course Description
Studies of pregnancy in the HAART era indicate that pregnancy is common after a diagnosis of HIV and live birth rates are significantly increased when compared with the pre-HAART period; abortion is less common; and HIV infected women often desire more children, influenced by advances in HIV care. This CEU course reviews issues related to reproductive decision-making, including preconception care and counseling and use of contraception to reduce unintended pregnancy. In addition, issues related to pregnancy and guidelines for care during pregnancy to optimize the health of both the mother and her baby are discussed.
Article Author: Jean R. Anderson, M.D., et al.; U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CEU Course Objectives
1. Discuss factors to consider when helping a woman choose the best method of contraception for herself and her partner.
2. Enumerate the goals of preconception care.
3. Explain when a pregnant woman should be counseled to avoid unprotected genital and oral sexual contact during pregnancy.
4. Examine factors unique to pregnancy that may increase risk for the development of ARV resistance.
5. Identify manifestations of congenital syphilis in the newborn.
6. Describe the subsets of women that are at an increased risk for unintended pregnancy.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2016-02-20