Behavioral Health Needs of Men
$52.00 | CE Hours:13.00 | Intermediate
This course material will need to be downloaded using the PDF version only. It will not properly open to be read via our online viewer.
CEU Course Description
This course was developed from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration publication which examines the history and theories of male socialization, changes in perceptions of masculinity and male roles, fatherhood, and other factors related to men’s substance use, abuse, and treatment. Clinical examples and tips are offered to guide behavioral health clinicians in treating men from these diverse populations. Finally, the substance abuse treatment approaches, modalities, components, and settings that are the most effective for use with men are discussed.
Article Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Patrick Reilly, Ph.D.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CEU Course Objectives
1. Define terms such as gender-appropriate behavior and masculinity.
2. Discuss rituals, rites of passage, and critical transitions in a man’s life.
3. Be aware of the association between alcohol and aggression / violence.
4. Identify which group has the highest rate of illicit drug use and which substances are abused most frequently.
5. Become familiar with how tax payers benefit when men enter substance abuse treatment.
6. Examine the differences in screening, assessing, and diagnosing.
7. Understand how physical and sexual violence intertwines with substance abuse.
8. Compare and contrast the advantages and disadvantage of male vs. female counselors working with male clients.
9. Examine the relationship between substance abuse and the male reproductive system.
10. Appreciate the role substance abuse plays in anxiety, posttraumatic stress disorder, depression, and gambling addiction.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2014-01-29