Dual Diagnosis: Understanding Co-Occurring Mental Illness and Substance Use Disorders
$0.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Intermediate
Behavioral health professionals have a responsibility to be aware of the complex relationship between mental illness and substance abuse or dependence, known as dual diagnoses or co-occurring disorders. Topics include characteristics and prevalence, theories, screening and assessment, and treatment of dual diagnosis.
Article Author: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
1. Describe the scope and magnitude of co-occurring mental illness and substance use disorders.
2. Identify various theoretical approaches that explain the relationship between mental illness and substance abuse, and why co-existence of these behaviors is prevalent.
3. Examine the importance of thorough screening and assessment for dual diagnosis, while outlining the 12-step assessment process.
4. Outline various treatment formats that will best engage clients in the therapeutic process, and summarize specific treatment modalities most commonly used for dual diagnosis.
5. Discuss the mental health disorders that seem to create particular vulnerability to substance use as well as the most common mental health/addiction combinations in play today.
6. Review strategies to help those with a loved one with dual diagnosis take care of themselves while supporting the individual.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2015-08-08