HIPAA: Secure Electronic Health Records
$10.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
Everyone has a role in the privacy and security of electronic health information. This CE course helps social workers better understand how to integrate federal health information privacy and security requirements into their practices.
Author: Guide to Privacy and Security of Electronic Health Information. The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology. 2015.
CE Course Objectives
1. Name three items that must be included in the Notice of Privacy Practices.
2. Distinguish what information the social worker can and cannot disclose without an individual’s written authorization.
3. Explain who is responsible for taking the steps needed to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of health information in health care providers’ EHR.
4. Describe what the first comprehensive security risk analysis should accomplish.
CE Course Objectives
1. Chapter 1
a. Why do privacy and security matter?
b. Increasing patient trust and information integrity through privacy and security
2. Chapter 2
a. Your practice and the HIPAA rules
b. Understanding provider responsibilities under HIPAA
c. Who must comply with the HIPAA rules?
d. The HIPAA privacy rule
3. Chapter 3
a. Understanding patients' health information rights
b. Patients' rights and your responsibilities
c. Designated record set
4. Chapter 4
a. Understanding electronic health records, the HIPAA security rule, and cybersecurity
b. The HIPAA security rule
c. How to keep your patients' health information secure with an EHR
5. Chapter 5
a. Medicare and Medicaid EHR incentive programs meaningful use core objectives that address privacy and security
b. General overview of Stage 1 and Stage 2 meaningful use
6. Chapter 6
a. Sample seven-step approach for implementing a security management process
b. How to get started on security
c. Sample seven-step approach for implementing a security management process
7. Chapter 7
a. Breach notification, HIPAA enforcement, and other laws and requirements
b. Civil penalties
c. Criminal penalties
d. Reporting breaches
e. Investigation and enforcement of potential HIPAA rules violations
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved as an ACE provider to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Regulatory boards are the final authority on courses accepted for continuing education credit. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2023 - 01/03/2026. Social workers completing this course receive 2.00 'Ethics' continuing education credits.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2015-01-01