Understanding the Impact of Trauma
$6.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Intermediate
CEU Course Description
This course examines common experiences survivors may encounter immediately following or long after a traumatic experience. This course begins with an overview of common responses, emphasizing that traumatic stress reactions are normal reactions to abnormal circumstances. It also highlights common short- and long-term responses to traumatic experiences in the context of individuals who may seek behavioral health services. In addition, this course discusses psychological symptoms not represented in the DSM-5 and responses associated with trauma that either fall below the threshold of mental disorders or reflect resilience. This course also addresses common disorders associated with traumatic stress and explores the role of culture in defining mental illness, particularly PTSD, and addresses co-occurring mental and substance-related disorders.
Author: Kathleen Guarino, LMHC
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
1. Describe the sequence of trauma reactions and common experiences and responses to trauma.
2. Discuss the relationship between substance use and trauma.
3. Identify the characteristics of subthreshold trauma-related symptoms that do not meet the criteria for common trauma reactions.
4. Differentiate between acute stress disorder and post traumatic stress disorder, including diagnostic criteria, clinical profiles and histories, and appropriate interventions.
5. Evaluate the relationship between trauma-related disturbances and co-occurring disorders including mood, anxiety, substance use, and personality disorders.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Board Approvals for this course can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.