Supporting Families Impacted by Mental Health Problems, Substance Abuse, and Trauma
$15.00 | CE Hours:5.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
Besides the difficult task of raising children—often while working full-time, many caregivers deal with added stressors such as mental health problems, substance abuse, and a history of trauma. The aim of this course is to build a responsive community: a community that has as its goal to respond as sensitively to the needs of a family as a committed caregiver does to his or her child.
Article Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Beth Maschinot, Ph.D., Julie Cohen, M.S.W.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss the importance of the first few years of life and how early experiences impact the developing brain.
2. Evaluate how different types of stress affect children and families as well as protective factors that promote resilience.
3. Outline the steps of SAMHSA's Strategic Planning Framework in addressing mental health, substance abuse, and trauma issues that impact families.
4. Describe various community programs that have successfully impacted struggling and at-risk children and families.
5. Identify ways to design and adopt programs to meet the needs of diverse populations.
Date Added: 2012-01-09
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Board Approvals for this course can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.