Substance Abuse Treatment and LGBT Issues
$15.00 | CEU Hours:5.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
For substance abuse treatment providers to deliver skilled care to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) clients, they need to be aware of issues specific to the LGBT community. This CE course provides an overview of the use and abuse of substances in the LGBT community, presents information to help providers understand cultural issues relevant to treating LGBT clients, examines ways programs can safeguard information about clients’ substance abuse histories, and advises providers on approaches of care relevant to the LGBT populations.
Article Author: Robert Paul Cabaj, M.D., et al.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss what topics therapists should regularly direct attention to when LGBT- or gender-specific groups are held.
2. Explain what practitioners need to be aware of when communicating with American Indians and Alaska Natives.
3. Investigate the clinical issues facing bisexuals and what these issues often result from.
4. Examine the key concept in understanding issues facing gay men, lesbians, and bisexuals in substance abuse treatment.
5. Identify for which substance there is compelling evidence that HIV and hepatitis C infections are linked with its use.
6. Describe a culturally competent model of treatment.
Date Added: 2017-06-12
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Board Approvals for this course can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at: email@example.com.