New! Substance Abuse Treatment and LGBT Cultural Competence
$12.00 | CE Hours:4.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
As lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) individuals become more accepted and visible, they are seeking culturally sensitive, if not culturally specific, substance abuse treatment services. This CE course discusses administrative policies and procedures for serving LGBT clients, training and educational issues related to serving LGBT clients, and how to monitor and assess efforts to improve quality.
Article Author: Brenda Underhill, M.S., C.A.C., et al.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss how counselors can help LGBT clients recover from substance abuse and addiction.
2. Explain the goal of quality improvement with respect to service to LGBT clients.
3. Investigate the stages of lesbian and gay identity development.
4. Examine why professionals may attribute treatment failures to the clientele.
5. Identify the phrase that should be used to refer to individuals who are drug-free.
6. Provide an important first step in implementing an evidence based program.