Principles of Substance Abuse Prevention for Early Childhood
$12.00 | CEU Hours:4.00 | Intermediate
ICB credit for: Counselor I or II, Preventionist I or II, CARS I or II, MISA I or II, PCGC II, CCJP II, CAAP I, CRSS II, MAATP I or II, NCRS II, CFPP II, ATE*This course is not approved for NBCC renewal. Please see our NBCC category of courses here.
CEU Course Description
While substance use generally begins during the adolescent years, there are known biological, psychological, social, and environmental factors that contribute to the risks that begin accumulating as early as the prenatal period. This CEU course provides the specific ways in which early interventions can have positive effects on development and gives an overview of child development from the prenatal period through age 8, along with the factors that either place a child at risk for later substance use or offer protection against that risk.
Article Author: Elizabeth Robertson, Ph.D., et al.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CEU Course Objectives
1. Discuss what can impede a child’s healthy brain development when a nurturing responsive relationship with a parent does not exist.
2. Investigate the most important context across all periods of early child development.
3. Examine what research has shown the benefits of intervention can affect.
4. Elucidate the most crucial factors leading to healthy socialization and self-regulation.
5. Identify the transition period that is a prime opportunity to introduce skills, knowledge, and competencies to facilitate development during the transition.
6. Provide the core elements of a school-based early childhood intervention.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff here.