Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain
$15.00 | CEU Hours:5.00 | IntermediateThis course is not approved by NBCC for NCC certification renewal. To renew your NCC certification, view our list of NBCC specific approved courses.
CEU Course Description
Opioids are commonly prescribed for pain. This CEU course provides recommendations that address when to initiate or continue opioids for chronic pain, assesses risk and harm of opioid use, and opioid selection, dosage, duration, follow-up, and discontinuation.
Article Author: Deborah Dowell, M.D., et al.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CEU Course Objectives
1. Enumerate the nonpharmacologic treatments that have been shown to be effective in managing chronic pain.
2. Explain when the risks for opioid overdose are greatest.
3. Investigate on the basis of which piece of information most fatal overdoses can be identified retrospectively.
4. Examine what should be offered when prescribing opioids to patients at increased risk for overdose.
5. Define long-term opioid therapy.
6. Identify first- and second-line drugs for neuropathic pain.