Opioid Use Disorder: Medications, Screening, and Assessment - For Social Workers
$6.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Beginning
CE Course Description
The number of patients presenting with opioid use disorder (OUD) in medical clinics, community health centers, and private practices is increasing. This CE course offers social workers a general introduction to OUD medications and addresses most personal healthcare needs, development of sustained partnerships with patients, and practicing in the context of family and community.
Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Medications for Opioid Use Disorder. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series 63, Full Document. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 18-5063FULLDOC. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2018.
Retrieved from: https://store.samhsa.gov/product/TIP-63-Medications-for-Opioid-Use-Disorder-Full-Document-Including-Executive-Summary-and-Parts-1-5-/SMA18-5063FULLDOC
CE Course Objectives
1. List three exceptions in the Controlled Substances Act from the requirement to provide methadone through an OTP or buprenorphine through an OTP or a waivered practitioner.
2. Name the strongest risk factors for developing SUDs.
3. Summarize under which treatment setting patients should have access to FDA-approved medications for OUD.
4. Explain what the decision to discontinue OUD medication should be based on.
5. Identify three situations when patients should be assessed for an OUD.
6. Describe what every patient who misuses opioids or has OUD should receive.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Introduction to Medications for Opioid Use Disorder Treatment
a. The Approach to OUD Care
b. Overview of Medications for OUD
c. Duration of Treatment With OUD Medication
d. Treatment Settings
e. Challenges to Expanding OUD Medication
2. Addressing Opioid Use Disorder in General Medical Settings
a. Scope of the Problem
d. Treatment Planning or Referral
Date Added: 2018-04-02
Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2019 – 01/03/2020. Social workers completing this course receive 2.00 continuing education credits.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Board Approvals for this course can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at: email@example.com.