Opioid Treatment Guidelines for Chronic Pain - Part 1
$6.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
The guidelines presented in this course provide healthcare providers with a framework by which to evaluate, treat, and manage the individual needs and preferences of patients with chronic pain who are on or being considered for long-term opioid therapy (LOT). This CE course gives a clear explanation of the logical relationships between various care options and health outcomes while rating both the quality of the evidence and the strength of the recommendation.
Article Author: The Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain Work Group. (2017, February). VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guideline for Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain. Department of Veterans Affairs, Department of Defense.
Dowell, D, Haegerich, TM, Chou, R. CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain - United States, 2016. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2016;65(1):1-49.
Hedegaard, H, Chen, LH, Warner, M. Drug-poisoning deaths involving heroin: United States, 2000-2013. NCHS Data Brief. Mar 2015(190):1-8.
Rudd, RA, Aleshire, N, Zibbell, JE, Gladden, RM. Increases in drug and opioid overdose deaths - United States, 2000-2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;64(50-51):1378-1382.
Retrieved from: https://www.healthquality.va.gov/
CE Course Objectives
1. Enumerate absolute contraindications to initiating opioid therapy for chronic pain.
2. Investigate the risk factors that have the greatest impact for development of opioid-related adverse events.
3. Examine the signs of medication diversion.
4. Provide the universal approaches that should be used in the management of care for the patient regardless of the location from which that patient is transferred.
CE Outline with Main Points
a. Determination of Appropriateness for Opioid Therapy
b. Treatment with Opioid Therapy
c. Tapering or Discontinuation of Opioid Therapy
d. Patients Currently on Opioid Therapy
a. Opioid Epidemic
b. Paradigm Shift in Pain and Its Treatment
c. Prioritizing Safe Opioid Prescribing Practices and Use
e. Epidemiology and Impact
f. Chronic Pain and Co-occurring Conditions
g. Risk Factors for Adverse Outcomes of Opioid Therapy
4. About this Clinical Practice Guideline
a. Scope of this Clinical Practice Guideline
b. Highlighted Features of this Clinical Practice Guidelines
e. Summary of Patient Focus Group Methods and Findings
f. Conflict of Interest
g. Patient-centered Care
h. Shared Decision Making
i. Stepped Care Model for Pain Management
j. Transfer of Care
k. Clinical Decision Support Tools
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2019-06-05