Opioid Use Disorder: Partnering Clients, Health Care, and Addiction Professionals
$35.00 | CE Hours:7.00 | Intermediate
***This course will be expiring on 07/30/2020. After this date, you will be unable to take this course for renewal credit.***
CE Course Description
Opioid misuse has caused a growing nationwide epidemic of OUD and unintentional overdose deaths. This CE course provides information for professionals working with individual who take a Food and Drug Administration-approved medication for opioid use disorder.
Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Medication for Opioid Use Disorder. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series 63. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 18-5063. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2018.
CE Course Objectives
1. Summarize what the law requires of prescribers with regard to referring patients taking OUD medication to counseling and ancillary services.
2. Explain what treatment must include in order to be effective.
3. Show how to reach out to family who hesitate to engage with the patient’s treatment.
4. Recognize which OUD medication is slow in onset and long acting, avoiding the highs and lows of short-acting opioids.
5. Evaluate why those with OUD are at a very high risk for overdose early after release from prison or jail.
6. Identify the part of the brain that becomes overactive from repeated drug use.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Partnering Addiction Treatment Counselors With Clients and Healthcare Professionals
a. Quick Guide to Medications
b. Counselor - Prescriber Communications
c. Creation of a Supportive Counseling Experience
d. Common Counseling Concers
2. Resources Related to Medications for Opioid Use Disorder
a. Medical and Behavioral Health Service Providers
b. Counselors and Peer Providers
c. Clients and Families
d. Tools and Sample Forms
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2018-05-14