Older Adults and Mental Health
$15.00 | CE Hours:5.00 | Intermediate
Approved by Oregon DHS for AMH, APD and DD
Includes Alzheimers, Dementia, and Other Mental Disorders
BBS Approved for Aging
CE Course Description
This course material focuses on mental disorders (Alzheimers, Dementia, Depression) in older adults by reviewing the normal developmental milestones of aging and then considering the diagnosis and treatment of mental health problems for this population.
It reviews gains that have been made in providing services to this age group and discusses nontraditional and informal treatment options (a review of the different types of nursing facilities) as well as the role of the family and community in assisting older adults through the aging process.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1) Demonstrate knowledge of the aging process while becoming familiar with normal developmental milestones such as physical limitations and cognitive changes that occur during this period.
2) Recognize adaptive capacities in the aging process that allow older people to change, cope with loss, and pursue satisfying and productive activities.
3) Identify mental disorders in older people including risk factors that complicate diagnosis and treatment.
4) Describe progress that has been made to assist older individuals with mental health services and challenges associated with the delivery of these services.
5) Understand the role of the family, community, and consumers in supporting older adults in prevention and treatment of mental health problems.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2011-10-27