LGBT Populations - Recovery from Addiction and Mental Health Problems
$9.00 | CEU Hours:3.00 | Intermediate*This course is not approved for NBCC renewal. Please see our NBCC category of courses here.
Illinois Specific Approvals: Counselor I or II, Preventionist I or II, CARS I or II, MISA I or II or III, PCGC II, CCJP II, CAAP I, CRSS I or II, MAATP I or II, RDDP, NCRS I or II, CFPP II
CEU Course Description
This course discusses the following topic areas with regard to the LGBT population, addiction, and mental health: family rejection and acceptance; coming out; LGBT-related stress; trauma; suicide; person-level factors related to recovery; system and contextual factors related to recovery; and recommendations for action from participants.
Article Author: CMHS National Advisory Council - Advisory biographies and credentials
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
1. Identify issues that LGBT populations face that place them at substantially greater risk for substance use and mental health problems.
2. Discuss specific factors at the individual and systems levels that can promote or hinder recovery for LGBT individuals.
3. Review core themes related to LGBT individuals’ particular vulnerabilities and experiences that affect their overall health and wellness, including family rejection and acceptance.
4. Evaluate how stress and trauma experienced by LGBT persons negatively impact their mental health and their willingness to seek and access care.
5. Summarize concrete actions that have been recommended to SAMHSA and other stakeholders to advance recovery opportunities for LGBT people.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff here.