Fetal Alcohol Disorder Treatment for Social Workers
$4.50 | CEU Hours:1.50 | Intermediate
CEU Course Description
One act of alcohol-exposed pregnancy (AEP) prevention can positively impact the life of the mother and the life of the unborn child. One change in how services are provided can multiply that impact many times over. This CEU course provides social workers working with pregnant women and those with FASD the procedures for screening, appropriate prevention approaches, and procedures for referral.
Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Addressing Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD). Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series 58. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 13-4803. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2014.
Retrieved from: https://store.samhsa.gov/product/TIP-58-Addressing-Fetal-Alcohol-Spectrum-Disorders-FASD-/SMA13-4803
CEU Course Objectives
1. List three personal / sexual / family risk factors for an AEP.
2. Conclude what is needed most by a social worker to effectively serve individuals who have or may have an FASD.
3. Evaluate what should be considered when modifying a treatment plan for an individual who has or may have an FASD.
4. Differentiate the approaches to learning that should and should not be avoided.
5. Identify a common theme that social workers need to be attentive to when working with those with an FASD.
CEU Outline with Main Points
1. Prevention of Alcohol-Exposed Pregnancies Among Women of Childbearing Age
a. Professional Responsibility to Screen
b. Procedures for Screening
c. Selecting an Appropriate Prevention Approach
d. Procedures for Referral
e. Working with Women Who May Have an FASD
2. Addressing FASD in Treatment
a. The Starting Point: Observing Indicators
b. Functional Observation and History / Interviewing
c. Assessment (External or Through an In-House Assessment Team)
d. Tailoring Treatment for Individuals with an FASD
e. Working with the Family
f. Transition and Connection to Community Supports
Date Added: 2017-12-21
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Board Approvals for this course can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.