Cultural Sensitivity to Holiday-Time Domestic Violence
$3.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Beginning
This course is approved by the Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health, Course Approval # DVP-2019-15 for DV 1 Victim CE Hour. This will appear on your CE Certificate.
CE Course Description
Questions may arise about the increase of domestic violence during the holiday season and how to appropriately meet the needs of survivors and advocates working in shelters through the holiday season. This CE course examines several issues to consider when working with survivors and their families during the holiday season.
Author: National Resource Center on Domestic Violence. (2013, December). Domestic Violence and the Holidays: Cultural Sensitivity During the Holiday Season. National Resource Center on Domestic Violence, Harrisburg, PA.; National Resource Center on Domestic Violence. (2012, November). Domestic Violence and the Holidays: What's Cooking? National Resource Center on Domestic Violence, Harrisburg, PA.; Ortiz, I. (2015, December). Domestic Violence and the Holidays: Beyond Resolutions, Envisioning Your Future. National Resource Center on Domestic Violence, Harrisburg, PA.
Retrieved from: https://vawnet.org/material/domestic-violence-and-holidays-cultural-sensitivity-during-holiday-season; https://vawnet.org/material/domestic-violence-and-holidays-whats-cooking; https://vawnet.org/material/domestic-violence-and-holidays-beyond-resolutions-envisioning-your-future
CE Course Objectives
1. Evaluate three strategies for easing communal living, increasing harmony, supporting parenting in shelters, and ensuring safety.
2. Summarize what shelter staff should do when involving residents in decision-making.
3. Identify which activity has been shown to be a therapeutic and educational experience for shelter workers and residents alike, also providing esthetic, economic, and social and cultural benefits to domestic violence programs.
4. Describe how advocates can help keep the season safe for survivors.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Domestic Violence and the Holidays: Cultural Sensitivity During the Holiday Season
a. "But It's Christmas!" - Cultural Sensitivity During the Holidays
b. Program Policies
c. Program Services
d. Ways to Support Shelter Staff During the Holidays
2. Domestic Violence and the Holidays: What's Cooking?
a. Responding to the Food-Related Needs of Survivors in Shelters
b. Managing the Surplus of Food Donations
c. Effect of the Holidays on Calls to the Hotline
3. Domestic Violence and the Holidays: Beyond Resolutions, Envisioning Your Future
a. Life Goals vs. Resolutions
b. Making our Life Goals a Reality
c. Getting Started
d. Sample Envisioning Activities
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2019 – 01/03/2020.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2017-12-21