Cultural Sensitivity to Holiday-Time Domestic Violence
$3.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Beginning
CEU Course Description
Questions may arise about the increase of domestic violence during the holiday season and how to appropriately meet the needs of survivors and advocates working in shelters through the holiday season. This CEU course examines several issues to consider when working with survivors and their families during the holiday season.
Author: National Resource Center on Domestic Violence. (2013, December). Domestic Violence and the Holidays: Cultural Sensitivity During the Holiday Season. National Resource Center on Domestic Violence, Harrisburg, PA.; National Resource Center on Domestic Violence. (2012, November). Domestic Violence and the Holidays: What's Cooking? National Resource Center on Domestic Violence, Harrisburg, PA.; Ortiz, I. (2015, December). Domestic Violence and the Holidays: Beyond Resolutions, Envisioning Your Future. National Resource Center on Domestic Violence, Harrisburg, PA.
Retrieved from: https://vawnet.org/material/domestic-violence-and-holidays-cultural-sensitivity-during-holiday-season; https://vawnet.org/material/domestic-violence-and-holidays-whats-cooking; https://vawnet.org/material/domestic-violence-and-holidays-beyond-resolutions-envisioning-your-future
CEU Course Objectives
1. Evaluate three strategies for easing communal living, increasing harmony, supporting parenting in shelters, and ensuring safety.
2. Summarize what shelter staff should do when involving residents in decision-making.
3. Identify which activity has been shown to be a therapeutic and educational experience for shelter workers and residents alike, also providing esthetic, economic, and social and cultural benefits to domestic violence programs.
4. Describe how advocates can help keep the season safe for survivors.
CEU Outline with Main Points
1. Domestic Violence and the Holidays: Cultural Sensitivity During the Holiday Season
a. "But It's Christmas!" - Cultural Sensitivity During the Holidays
b. Program Policies
c. Program Services
d. Ways to Support Shelter Staff During the Holidays
2. Domestic Violence and the Holidays: What's Cooking?
a. Responding to the Food-Related Needs of Survivors in Shelters
b. Managing the Surplus of Food Donations
c. Effect of the Holidays on Calls to the Hotline
3. Domestic Violence and the Holidays: Beyond Resolutions, Envisioning Your Future
a. Life Goals vs. Resolutions
b. Making our Life Goals a Reality
c. Getting Started
d. Sample Envisioning Activities
Date Added: 2017-12-21
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Board Approvals for this course can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at: email@example.com.