Courtrooms for Children and Adolescents
$5.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Beginning
CE Course Description
This CE course outlines how to create child and adolescent fair courtrooms and addresses issues such as: who would be a good support person for a young child who has to testify; are therapy animals allowed as comfort items for a child who is afraid of testifying in court; can a courtroom set-up be physically altered; how to make the oath more meaningful for the children who testify; can the judge order the attorneys to speak and behave in a certain way around children; and how to help a child that is experiencing difficulty in the courtroom.
Author: Phillips, A. and Walters, S. (2013, May). A Courtroom for All: Creating Child- and Adolescent-Fair Courtrooms. Gundersen Health System, National Child Protection Training Center, National District Attorneys Association.
Retrieved from: https://ndaa.org/programs/child-abuse/ncpca-publications/
CE Course Objectives
1. Conclude what the strongest predictor of a child’s attitude towards the court process is related to.
2. Explain three important aspects of court school for children.
3. Evaluate the pre-trial motions regarding attorney conduct that can be addressed.
4. Summarize the options to consider if the child witness is terrified to look at his or her abuser or testify in the same room.
5. Identify the most important thing for the victim advocate to talk with the child about, and should be stressed above all other concepts.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. What Children and Adolescents Understand About Court
2. Court Preparation Tools and Schools
3. Courtroom Logistics
4. Support Person
5. Non-Supportive Family
6. Confort Item
7. Animal Advocates in Court
8. Child Fair Oath
9. Testimonial Aids
10. Attorney Conduct
11. Child-Fair Hours and Breaks
12. Shielded or Closed-Circuit Television Testimony
13. Courtroom Closed to Public
14. Adolescent-Fair Courtrooms
15. Considering Culture in Courtrooms
16. Defendants Acting as Their Own Attorney
17. When Things Go Wrong: Help on the Witness Stand
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2017-12-28