Cultural Competencies for Counselors and Other Clinical Staff
$3.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Intermediate
Note: This course was extracted from SAMHSA’s (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) Treatment Improvement Protocol Manual #59 Improving Cultural Competence. Please refer to the original manual for references and appendices.
CEU Course Description
This course provides a general overview of the core competencies needed so that counselors may provide effective treatment to diverse racial and ethnic groups. Using Sue’s (2001) multidimensional model for developing cultural competence, the content focuses on the counselor’s need to engage in and develop cultural awareness; cultural knowledge in general; and culturally specific skills and knowledge of wellness, mental illness, substance use, treatments, and skill development.
Article Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Felipe González Castro, M.S.W., Ph.D.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CEU Course Objectives
1. Discuss where counselors should begin to become culturally competent.
2. Enumerate what culture consists of.
3. Explain how counselors from mainstream society are likely to feel about their own ethnic and cultural identities and how this relates to treating clients.
4. Compare and contrast the different stages of racial and cultural identity development.
5. Examine how counselors can be seen by different cultural groups and how these views influent treatment.
6. Elucidate the different behaviors that show respect to the client by culturally competent counselors.
7. Identify the avenues through which specific cultural knowledge is obtained for a commitment to a culturally responsive practice.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Board Approvals for this course can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.