Breastfeeding Basics: Benefits, Support, Tips, and Concerns
$6.00 | CEU Hours:2.00 | BeginningThis course is not approved by NBCC for NCC certification renewal. To renew your NCC certification, view our list of NBCC specific approved courses.
CEU Course Description
Breastfeeding helps to establish a secure and loving relationship between the mother and her infant and offers many other positive benefits. This CEU course provides information on the benefits of breastfeeding, factors affecting the decision to initiate or continue breastfeeding, methods to support breastfeeding mothers, practical breastfeeding techniques and tips, planning for time away from the infant, common concerns, and use of cigarettes, alcohol, other drugs, and certain beverages while breastfeeding.
Article Author: Donna Blum-Kemelor, MS, RD, LD
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CEU Course Objectives
1. Enumerate the factors that have a significant impact on a mother’s decision to initiate or continue breastfeeding.
2. Explain the primary barrier to breastfeeding for women of all backgrounds and in all regions of the country.
3. Examine how often a newborn infant should breastfeed.
4. Elucidate early signs of hunger.
5. Identify the most important indicator of whether an infant is receiving sufficient milk and breastfeeding effectively.