New! Antipsychotic Prescribing for Children and Adolescents
$9.00 | CE Hours:3.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
The safe and effective use of antipsychotic medications for children and adolescents in the United States is a critical issue in mental and substance use treatment. This CE course provides a centralized resource that articulates the scope of available systems-level strategies and the available evidence and corresponding recommendations for design and implementation of each strategy to promote antipsychotic best practice prescribing.
Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: Guidance on Strategies to Promote Best Practice in Antipsychotic Prescribing for Children and Adolescents. HHS Publication No. PEP19-ANTIPSYCHOTIC-BP. Rockville, MD: Office of Chief Medical Officer. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2019.
References / Contributions by:
Barclay RP, Penfold RB, Sullivan D, Boydston L, Wignall J, Hilt RJ. Decrease in statewide antipsychotic prescribing after implementation of child and adolescent psychiatry consultation services. Health Services Research. 2017;52(2):561-578.
dosReis S, Tai MH, Camelo WC, Reeves G. A national survey of state Medicaid psychotropic-monitoring programs targeting youths. Psychiatric Services. 2016; 67(10):1146-1148.
Hilt RJ. Telemedicine for Child Collaborative or Integrated Care. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America. 2017;26(4):637-645.
Retrieved from: https://store.samhsa.gov/product/guidance-on-strategies-to-promote-best-practice-in-antipsychotic-prescribing-for-children/PEP19-ANTIPSYCHOTIC-BP
CE Course Objectives
1. Define wraparound and describe its four phases.
2. Determine the proportion of antipsychotic users based on ethnicities, foster care involvement, as well as insurance providers.
3. Identify the most concerning side effect for families that participated in a series of national focus groups conducted about giving antipsychotic medications to their children.
4. List three conditions for which second-generation antipsychotic medications are U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved.
5. Name the top target symptom for antipsychotic prescribing.
6. Provide three risks if the medication is dispensed without secondary peer review.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Goals of This Guidance
a. Experiences of Families and Youth
b. Trends in Antipsychotic Prescribing Among Youth
c. Safety and Efficacy of Antipsychotic Medication Treatment
d. Quality of Prescribing Once Antipsychotic Treatment Is Initiated
e. Practice Parameters for Antipsychotic Prescribing
3. A Framework for Strategies to Promote Best Practice Prescribing
4. Key Principles for Strategies to Promote Best Practice Prescribing
a. Engage Youth and Families in Direct Care, Organizational Improvement, and Policy Reform
b. Invest in a Multi-Modal Approach
c. Engage Prescribing Clinicians
d. Consider the Unique Needs of Special Populations
e. Capitalize on Opportunities to Coordinate with Other Youth-Serving Systems at All Levels of Governance
f. Invest in Sustainable Financing Mechanisms
5. Strategies to Promote Antipsychotic Medication Oversight and Best Practice Prescribing
a. Prior Authorization and Mandatory Peer Review
b. Drug Utilization Reviews
c. Elective Psychiatric Consultation
d. Shared Decision-Making Tools for Youth and Families
e. Quality Improvement and Learning Collaboratives
f. Trauma-Informed and Evidence-Based System of Care
g. Public Reporting and Quality Indicators
h. Intensive Care Coordination
i. Multi-Modal Initiatives
6. Implications for Research
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Board Approvals for this course can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at: email@example.com.
Added On: 2019-09-02