After a Suicide: A Toolkit for Schools
$6.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
The suicide of a student can leave a school faced with grieving students, distressed parents and school staff, media attention, and a community struggling to understand what happened and why. This CE course provides guidance and tools for activities that help people cope with the emotional distress resulting from a suicide and prevent additional trauma that could lead to further suicidal behavior and deaths.
Author: American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, and Suicide Prevention Resource Center. (2018). After a suicide: A toolkit for school (2nd ed.). Waltham, MA: Education Development Center.
Retrieved from: http://www.sprc.org/resources-programs/after-suicide-toolkit-schools
CE Course Objectives
1. Explain how schools should treat a suicide death of a student vs. a death from another means such as cancer.
2. Describe three warning signs indicating a young person may be at risk for suicide.
3. Restate three items that group meetings for students should focus on.
4. Identify the first action step when a school receives news that one of its students has died.
5. Summarize three ways students should be notified of a death and two ways in which they should not be notified of a student’s death.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Crisis Response
a. Mobilize a Crisis Response Team
b. Share the News with the School Community
c. Address Cultural Diversity
d. Activities and Tools for Responding to a Crisis
2. Helping Students Cope
a. Key Considerations
b. Help Students Identify and Express Their Emotions
c. Practical Coping Strategies
d. Reach Out to Parents
e. Anniversary of the Death
3. Working with the Community
a. Key Consideration
b. Coroner / Medical Examiner
c. Police Department and Local Government
d. Funeral Director and Faith Community Leaders
e. Mental Health and Health Care
4. Working with the Media
a. Funerals and Memorial Services
b. Spontaneous Memorials
c. Online Memorial Pages, School Newspapers, and Yearbooks
d. Events and Graduation
e. Permanent Memorials and Scholarships
6. Social Media
a. Involve Students
b. Disseminate Information
c. Online Memorial Pages
d. Monitor and Respond
7. Suicide Contagion
a. Identifying Other Students at Possible Risk for Suicide
b. Connecting with Local Mental Health Resources
c. Suicide Clusters
Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2019 – 01/03/2020. Social workers completing this course receive 2.00 continuing education credits.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Texas Board of Social Workers
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2019 – 01/03/2020.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Added On: 2018-07-19