New! After a Suicide: A Toolkit for Schools
$6.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
The suicide of a student can leave a school faced with grieving students, distressed parents and school staff, media attention, and a community struggling to understand what happened and why. This CE course provides guidance and tools for activities that help people cope with the emotional distress resulting from a suicide and prevent additional trauma that could lead to further suicidal behavior and deaths.
Author: American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, and Suicide Prevention Resource Center. (2018). After a suicide: A toolkit for school (2nd ed.). Waltham, MA: Education Development Center.
Retrieved from: http://www.sprc.org/sites/default/files/resource-program/AfteraSuicideToolkitforSchools.pdf
CE Course Objectives
1. Explain how schools should treat a suicide death of a student vs. a death from another means such as cancer.
2. Discuss three warning signs indicating a young person may be at risk for suicide.
3. Enumerate three items that group meetings for students should focus on.
4. Identify the first action step when a school receives news that one of its students has died.
5. Provide three ways students should be notified of a death and two ways in which they should not be notified of a student’s death.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Board Approvals for this course can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at: email@example.com.