Tribal Healing to Wellness Courts: Treatment Guidelines
$15.00 | CE Hours:3.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
Healing to Wellness Courts are special dockets within the overall tribal court case process. Special procedures need to be instituted to identify eligible participants as soon as possible after their arrest or triggering event, and develop an appropriate plan for their treatment and other services. This CE course provides the program elements that need to be incorporated in a Wellness Court program along with their application to treatment.
Author: Panasiewics, M., Panasiewics, R., and van Schilfgaarde, L. (2017, November). Tribal Healing to Wellness Courts: Treatment Guidelines (2nd Edition). Tribal Law and Policy Institute, West Hollywood, California.
References / Contributions by:
Joseph Flies-Away, Carrie Garrow, and Pat Sekaquaptewa, Tribal Healing to Wellness Courts: The Key Components, 2nd ed. (Tribal Law and Policy Institute, 2014).
Jeffrey N. Kushner, Roger H. Peters, and Caroline S. Cooper, A Technical Assistance Guide for Drug Court Judges on Drug Court Treatment Services 4 (Bureau of Justice Assistance Drug Court Technical Assistance Project, American University, April 2014).
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Office of the Surgeon General, Facing Addiction in America: The Surgeon General’s Report on Alcohol, Drugs, and Health, 2-1 (HHS, November 2016).
Retrieved from: http://wellnesscourts.org//HWC_Publication_Series.cfm
CE Course Objectives
1. Conclude how long it takes to rewire the neuro-chemical changes in the brain that result from alcohol and other drug abuse.
2. Distinguish between substance abusers and addicts.
3. Explain why most people begin to use alcohol and other drugs.
4. Identify the primary barrier for most Wellness Court participants.
5. List three things that the first phase of Wellness Court should primarily focus on.
6. Provide three ways in which Healing to Wellness Court dockets differ from the tribal court process.
CE Outline with Main Points
a. Healing to Wellness Courts: An Overview
b. The Healing to Wellness Court: Principal Program Elements
c. The Healing to Wellness Court Team
2. Key Issues in Developing Treatment
a. Understanding Why People Use Alcohol and Other Drugs
b. The Stages of Use, Abuse, and Dependency Overview
c. The Pharmacology of Addiction
3. Developing a Wellness Court Treatment Program
a. Importance of a Holistic Approach
b. Using Tribal Healing Practices as the Foundation
c. Special Issues Relating to Adult versus Juvenile Wellness Courts
4. Adapting State Drug Court Treatment Components
a. Evidence-Based Practices Applicable to Drug Courts
b. Screening for Eligibility
c. Clinical Assessment
d. Intake and Treatment Planning
e. Phased Treatment Plan Framework
f. The Treatment Plan: Basic Components
g. Confidentiality and Communication
h. Medication-Assisted Treatment
i. Drug Testing
j. Incentives and Sanctions
5. Special Considerations for Treatment Services
a. Engaging the Family
b. Gender-Specific Services
c. Cultural Competency
d. Culturally-Based Treatment
e. Treating Co-Occurring Mental Health Disorders
f. Trauma-Informed Services
a. Aftercare Plans
b. Alumni Groups
c. Relapse Prevention
7. Looking Ahead
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2020-01-20