Competencies for Counseling the Multiracial Population
$10.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
The goal of this CE course is for the competencies discussed to serve as a resource and provide a framework for how counseling and other helping professionals can competently and effectively work with and advocate for members of the multiracial population, including interracial couples, multiracial families, multiracial individuals, and transracial adoptees and families.
Article Author: Dr. Kelley R. Kenney, Dr. Mark E. Kenney
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
1. Summarize counseling competencies for working with and advocating for members of the multiracial population including interracial couples, multiracial families, and multiracial individuals, and transracial adoptees and families.
2. Discuss ways in which multiracial individuals, families and couples may face biased environmental systems and deal with stressors associated with negative encounters that are rooted in racism.
3. Describe steps counselors can take to maintain professional orientation and ethical practice when working with those who are multiracial.
4. Identify specific strategies that counselors may use with multiracial populations to promote human growth and development, social and cultural diversity, and career development.
5. Provide an overview of transracial adoption, including its history, ethical concerns, and counseling competencies for working with transracial adoptees.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2015-08-27