Detained Youth - Psychiatric Disorders, Barriers to Mental Health Services, Violent Death
$15.00 | CE Hours:3.00 | Intermediate
***This course will be expiring on 07/29/2021. After this date, you will be unable to take this course for renewal credit.***
CEU Course Description
Even though research indicates that the majority of youth in the juvenile justice system have been diagnosed with psychiatric disorders, they often do not receive the treatment and services they need. This CEU course examines changes in the prevalence and persistence of disorders during the 5 years after detention; describes youth’s perceptions of barriers to mental health services; and compares mortality rates for delinquent youth with those for the general population.
Article Author: Linda Teplin, Ph.D., Karen Abram, Ph.D., et al.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CEU Course Objectives
1. Enumerate the most commonly reported barrier to services received outside of school.
2. Explain why males are more likely than females to continue antisocial behavior from childhood into adulthood.
3. Investigate characteristics associated with lower rates of service use prevalent among youth in the juvenile justice system.
4. Identify the most prevalent disorders found in the juvenile population.
5. Describe the common modifiable risk factors that can be addressed in an attempt to reduce violence.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2016-06-12