PTSD and Cardiovascular Disease
$3.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
Though many cardiovascular disease (CVD) prevention efforts have focused on reducing exposure to traditional risk factors, there is increasing recognition of the importance of psychological risk factors. This CE course looks at how targeting PTSD and other psychological conditions could dramatically reduce the burden of CVD.
Author: Arenson, M. and Cohen, B. Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Cardiovascular Disease. (2017). National Center for PTSD. PTSD Research Quarterly, Vol 28, No 1.
Retrieved from: https://www.ptsd.va.gov/publications/ptsd_rq.asp
CE Course Objectives
1. Name which system is activated by traumatic stress, causing increased production of catecholamines, rennin, angiotensin II, and aldosterone, which can directly damage the cardiovascular system.
2. Determine which inflammatory biomarker has been found to be at a nearly two-fold risk of increased levels in those with PTSD.
3. Express the associated increased risk of coronary heart disease for each standard deviation increase in PTSD symptom severity.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Population Based Studies of PTSD and CVD
2. Studies with Objective Cardiovascular Testing
4. Implications and Future Directions
5. Featured Articles
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2018-04-30