Developing a Trauma-Informed Juvenile Justice Program with Behavioral Health Conditions
$20.00 | CE Hours:4.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
The majority of youth in contact with the juvenile justice system in this country have a diagnosable behavioral health condition. This CE course discusses trauma and its effects on youth, especially those with behavioral health conditions; the types of trauma-related disorders, the behavioral manifestations of trauma that youth may display, and factors that affect the severity of trauma-related disorders. Key elements of a trauma-informed approach within the context of juvenile justice diversion are also described.
Article Author: Joseph Cocozza, Ph.D., et al.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Explain the reasons that many youth end up in the juvenile justice system.
2. Investigate important principles in a cross-system policy framework design.
3. Examine which specialized approach must be adopted to effectively identify and respond to youth with behavioral health conditions in contact with the juvenile justice system.
4. Scrutinize the link between a traumatic event and PTSD and other trauma-related disorders.
5. Define vicarious trauma.
6. Describe how the physical arrangement of offices can be made to feel welcoming.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2016-05-15