SUD Treatment Care Continuum and Program Standards (ASAM Criteria)
$3.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
Needs assessments and other research have shown that not all state Medicaid programs offer the full continuum of services needed by individuals with a SUD. This CE course provides information about the preventive, treatment, and recovery services and the levels of care comprising the continuum of SUD care. An overview of nationally developed guidelines for SUD treatment criteria, including provider and service standards for each level of care is also provided.
Author: Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (2017, April). Overview of Substance Use Disorder (SUD) Care Clinical Guidelines: A Resource for States Developing SUD Delivery System Reforms. Department of Health & Human Services.
References / Contributions by:
Mee-Lee D, ed. The ASAM Criteria: Treatment Criteria for Addictive Substance-Related, and Co-Occurring Conditions. Chevy Chase, MD: American Society of Addiction Medicine, 2013.
American Society of Addiction Medicine. Quality & Practice. http://www.asam.org/quality-practice/guidelines-and-consensus-documents/npg
Additional information about CONTINUUM, The ASAM Criteria Decision Engine software is available at: http://asamcontinuum.org/about/
Retrieved from: https://www.medicaid.gov/state-resource-center/innovation-accelerator-program/index.html
CE Course Objectives
1. Conclude which setting waivered physicians are not allowed to prescribe buprenorphine under the OBOT model of care.
2. Differentiate which services are directed by nonphysician addiction specialists rather than medical personnel and are appropriate for individuals whose primary problems involve emotional, behavioral, cognitive, readiness to change, relapse, or recovery environment concerns.
3. Identify which medication is not covered by the Controlled Substances Act.
4. Name three items that are safely manageable in a clinically managed service.
5. Summarize the treatment goal for intensive outpatient programs.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. SUD Treatment Care Continuum and Program Standards
2. ASAM Criteria
3. ASAM Levels of Care
4. Withdrawal Management Levels of Care
5. Opioid Treatment Services
6. Examples of State Substance Use Disorder Program Standards
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2019-12-02