Substance Abuse Treatment and LGBT Issues
$15.00 | CE Hours:5.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
For substance abuse treatment providers to deliver skilled care to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) clients, they need to be aware of issues specific to the LGBT community. This CE course provides an overview of the use and abuse of substances in the LGBT community, presents information to help providers understand cultural issues relevant to treating LGBT clients, examines ways programs can safeguard information about clients’ substance abuse histories, and advises providers on approaches of care relevant to the LGBT populations.
Article Author: Robert Paul Cabaj, M.D., et al.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss what topics therapists should regularly direct attention to when LGBT- or gender-specific groups are held.
2. Explain what practitioners need to be aware of when communicating with American Indians and Alaska Natives.
3. Investigate the clinical issues facing bisexuals and what these issues often result from.
4. Examine the key concept in understanding issues facing gay men, lesbians, and bisexuals in substance abuse treatment.
5. Identify for which substance there is compelling evidence that HIV and hepatitis C infections are linked with its use.
6. Describe a culturally competent model of treatment.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2017-06-12