Introduction to Cultural Competence
$15.00 | CE Hours:3.00 | Intermediate
This course meets the new Oregon CCCE requirements for renewal
CEU Course Description
This course defines cultural competence, presents a rationale for pursuing it, and describes the process of becoming culturally competent and responsive to client needs. In addition, it highlights the consensus panel’s core assumptions and introduces a framework, adapting Sue’s (2001) multidimensional model of cultural competence as the guiding model. Finally, a broad overview of the concepts integral to an understanding of race, ethnicity, and culture is discussed.
Article Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Andrea Kopstein, Ph.D., M.P.H., Karl D. White, Ed.D.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CEU Course Objectives
1. Discuss what counselors, other clinical staff, and organizations need to become aware of to provide culturally responsive treatment services.
2. Enumerate the specific cultural knowledge providers need to gain of the population that they serve.
3. Explain how an organization benefits from culturally responsive practices.
4. Investigate the elements generally agreed to constitute a culture.
5. Compare and contrast race and ethnicity and why these terms are important when working with clients.
6. Examine what is the key element of culture.
7. Scrutinize at which stage along the continuum of cultural competence counselors uphold the belief that there are no essential differences among individuals across cultural groups.
8. Identify how acculturation is typically associated with substance use and substance use disorders.
9. Describe how geography can strongly affect substance use and abuse, mental health and well-being, and access to and use of health services.
Note: This course was extracted from SAMHSA’s (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) Treatment Improvement Protocol Manual #59 Improving Cultural Competence. Please refer to the original manual for references and appendices.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2016-10-29